For fMRI session: $20/hour. fMRI version pays $80-100 in cash, and you will get a picture of your brain!
For Lab session: $10/hour, lab-only version pays between $50-70 in cash.
Compensation will be dispensed upon completion of the last session.
General information for prospective participants
Compensation: See above
Duration and Location:
Day 1: 3 hours. UCLA Franz Hall Room 8558 or 8546.
*Day 2: 2-3 hours. UCLA Franz Hall Room 8558 or 8546; or at the UCLA Brain Mapping Centre.
*Qualified participants may have the option to choose to do the 1.5 hours of the Day 2 session in the MR scanner.
Day 8: 30m. UCLA Franz Hall Room 8547, or telephone.
So if you start 1/1: Day 1 will be 1/1, Day 2 1/2, Day 8 1/8.
You don’t have to be affiliated with UCLA to participate, as long as you are able to come to UCLA for the experiment.
- Age of 18-26.
- Speak only English, and know no other languages (except through high school language courses).
Good visual acuity or vision corrected by contact lenses in order to clearly see the stimuli.
Good mental health so as to be able to follow instructions, understand the nature of the study, and to give informed consent.
Limited experience in certain type of virtual worlds.
- Not prone to motion sickness. (Seriously!)
- Right-handed (as determined by writing habits).
If you speak multiple languages, or are between 26-35 years of age, you can still participate in the other 3 of our virtual reality projects. Please go ahead and fill out the eligibility survey, and we will notify the other teams.
Implied Consent for Online Survey
Thank you very much for your interest in participating in our study.
Please kindly complete our eligibility survey, so that we can determine whether you are eligible for the research. This survey takes about 10m to complete.
Please note that…
- All questions marked with a * must be answered before proceeding to scheduling an appointment with the research.
However, filling out the survey is entirely voluntary: you are not required to answer any question you do not want to, simply close the browser window at any time to quit the survey.
- You will NOT be compensated for your time spent in completing the survey.
Please be assured that your privacy is a priority to us; therefore,
- Your responses for this survey will only be used for the purpose of determining whether you are eligible to become a participant. Your answers will be kept confidential, and only the research team will see them.
- If you are not eligible, or decide not to participate after completing the survey, your responses will be destroyed securely at the completion of the study, and there will be no penalty to you.
- If you become a participant and contribute to our research dataset, all of your responses will be kept anonymous in all publications.
By submitting this survey, you are consenting to participate in this online survey ONLY.
You are not committing to participate in any other portions of our study.
Thank you again for your time and interest.
ALIVE Research Team
Rissman Memory Lab